Championship: Derby Win East Midlands Derby

Derby County take the spoils at Pride Park

Championship: Derby Win East Midlands Derby

The Rams won Derby day in the East Midlands as they lifted the Brian Clough trophy for the 7th time.

It took just 24 seconds for Derby County to score, Matej Vydra found himself in space and struck from just outside the box to send the fans behind the goal crazy.

Nottingham Forest had the chance to equalise straight away through Daryl Murphy but he was unable to make contact with Lichaj’s cross.

It took until the second half for goal number two to come as Vydra escaped his marker and fed the ball to Nugent who slid the ball home to double the hosts lead early in the second half.

Forest had the chance to equalise straight away as they got down the other end and Lichaj’s cross came to Murphy who was unable to convert.

Their best chance of the first half fell to Barrie McKay who managed to break away from the Derby defence and beat the offside trap to go one on one with Derby keeper Scott Carson and it would be the former England international who would prevail.

McKay also hit the post earlier on as it was frustrating first half for the away side.

McKay also saw an effort come off the post from long range, as he was the catalyst for Forest going forward.

Half time arrived with arguably the better side trailing, Derby had just one effort on target in the first half and scored from it but they could well have been two goals up at the break again it was Vydra in the box his goal-bound effort was blocked by Forest’s player of the year last season Eric Lichaj.

As the first half drew to a close it was becoming laboured and the break came at the right time as the creativity of both sides was beginning to slow down.

The second half saw Forest kick off and they went on the attack straight away, Dowell found Cummings in the box who somehow was unable to convert from 4 yards.

That would prove costly as from their next attack Derby would double their lead. Vydra escaped his marker allowing him to break free and find David Nugent who slotted the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

As was the same in the first half Forest went straight down the other end and Cummings found Dowell who’s curling effort went wide.

The game was becoming more open and Tom Lawrence who was outstanding all afternoon worked himself into some space and shot but it was just too high, Nottingham Forest, however, were not giving up and as the game opened up it allowed Traore to have more of an influence and it was hid good work that led to Cummings turning and shooting over inside the box.

Scott Carson had his palms stung by a 25-yard effort from McKay.

Traore was getting forward a lot more and because of this was leaving gaps at the back and he brought down Tom Lawrence who shot from the free kick and forced Smith into a save.

From the resulting corner Smith was unable to deal with it and dropped the ball and it fell to Tom Huddlestone who was free on the edge of the box but his shot was always rising.

It was Derby’s best period of the match and they continued to get forward and Lichaj brought Lawrence down again this time giving away a free kick in a very good area which Lawrence took himself and struck the bar.

 Five minutes later Derby get forward again and after the initial cross was cleared Lawrence whipped it back in and Traore prevented Johnny Russell from making it 3-0.

On 81 minutes Forest had a chance to get back in it, Murphy does really well to hold the ball up but Walker is unable to covert as Carson manages to smother the ball.

Bridcutt then tired his chances from 25 yards is effort lacked power.

Chris Martin held the ball up brilliantly and Russell was able to break into the box, his shot being cleared for a corner that was cleared.

Derby won the ball back and Forsyth played the ball to Lawrence in the box and Smith saved his shot. Joe Ledley then crossed the ball and Curtis Davis headed wide.

In the latter stages, Forest continued to build and create chances former Derby man Jamie Ward shooting wide from distance.

In stoppage time Derby had one last chance after Russell got the better of Traore down the left-hand side and his ball came to sub Chris Martin who’s shot was blocked as Derby held out for their third straight home win over Forest.


News correlate