Blues italian boss changes version after frustration following Wednesday night's Carabao Cup semi-final loss at Arsenal
Antonio Conte says he will be happy whether or not Chelsea sign players in January and believes the club's transfer policy is "right". Blues italian boss changes opinion after frustration following Wednesday night's Carabao Cup semi-final loss at Arsenal. Actually, Barkley's £15m purchase from Everton on January 5 is the only incoming player so far this month.
Conte, who won the Premier League in his first season in charge last term, was asked if he is happy and he replied: "Yes, I'm happy. I'm happy to work with my players, I'm happy to work for this club. I'm happy to try every day to put all myself for this job. I'm happy for this." Conte admitted after the Carabao Cup defeat to Arsenal on Wednesday: "The club decide our transfer market. From the summer, the club decides every single player."
In the meantime, Charly Musonda featured in Chelsea's 4-0 win over Brighton last weekend, but was not part of the side that faced Arsenal. Conte said a decision over whether the player departs on loan is down to Chelsea's hierarchy: "To sell, to buy, to go on loan, the club will inform you about these situations," italian manager said.
As mentioned, Barkley is at moment the only incoming player in this transfer market window. He has made two substitute appearances, having last played for Everton in May due to a hamstring problem: "After a bad injury you need a bit of time to be fit, 100 per cent," Conte said. "But if you want to accelerate this process he has to play, not only to have the training sessions, especially in this moment, after Willian and Morata injuries we don't have other options." Former Everton player is poised to make his first Chelsea start against Newcastle United, with striker Alvaro Morata and playmaker Willian out. Also goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is injuried.